Thursday, May 28, 2009

Even Safer browsing




This post has two bits of good information.

1) A good program for rating websites - as to how harmful they are for your computer -
is - WOT ( Web of Trust ).
You can download it for free from:


www.mywot.com



Currently there is a version for Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers.

WOT will show up on your screen when you click on a suspected bad website - instead of going directly to the site you were trying to go to - you will be prompted that the site may be bad, and you may continue to the website if you choose - that may be a bad idea to continue - and may defeat the purpose of having WOT in the first place or you can choose not to go to the site.

2) I found out about WOT from Major Geeks
A Great site for downloading safe programs, both free programs (freeware) and paid / commercial programs.
I am a member of majorgeeks forums and I submitted a post that referred to McAfee's siteadvisor - I was replied to that siteadvisor's info. is not as up to date as that of WOT.
So I believe that siteadvisor is good - at least to some degree, but WOT would be better.
If I find any better program for testing the safety of an Internet site I will post it here.

Happy safer browsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment